Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Finding the words


I want to write, to write from within...
After spending so many years of my life with my solo show, it's natural that some of my deepest desires have already been expressed in that form. I've spoken these words many times and embraced them profoundly.

But now, it is time for me to move beyond the inner gestures I work so hard to elicit in myself and in my student actors. In short, I am, with this blog, moving from the language of felt gesture to the language of words.

I don't know where this will take me but I've known for some time that this is something I really must do. So, here goes. My challenge - to trust this language. To believe in words. My words.

When I first began my theatre explorations that finally became The Moving Dock Theatre Company, I professed to not trust words. I preferred movement and gesture because I felt that the playwright's words were code, blueprint, mere surface. I wanted to plunge beneath the surface. By instinct and habit, I reach deep. And yet, I love books. I fall in love with writers.

Perhaps my problem isn't words, but words that are not grasped. Maybe I can use words to find those rich inner gestures I seek. I will take all the experiences I have had and share them for what it is worth and I will take the important thoughts that are so clear to me in bursts of light, and attempt what so many writers have done for eons. I will write.


No comments:

Post a Comment